Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Topic: How did a "bad" student who lived a punk lifestyle become a teacher?

     In true punk fashion, society looks at my tattoos or hears my music for the first time and negatively paints a portrait of what they think my value is. I like that this is done. I am highly educated and often underestimated  by peers. 


   I never thought applying myself in the classroom was rewarding. Why do the extra work when I could procrastinate and get it done within seconds of a due date? My teachers mainly had only poor comments about my work, citizenship, and demeanor towards them. They were the people forcing the system down my throat via lectures and reciting the same key concepts for the last twenty years. I did not want to be apart of that lifestyle. I wanted to foster a desire to do something greater than acceptance of those same lectures. In my early twenties, I decided that I wanted to teach and light a fire within each graduating class; let them see a different face for education; be the standard of independence and substance; teach them to be both a successful bookworm and a nurturing individual in society simultaneously. 


     When I was in school I remember how difficult I found STEAM. On the most basic level I understood any STEAM class concept, but beyond that I felt lost. It wasn't until I was older that I realized I did not lack the ability to be successful in STEAM because I was stupid, I lacked the confidence. Girls often lack confidence in the more analytical subjects. I wanted this way of thinking to ed with me. 

    I decided if I was going to teach, I was going to have to stay in school the rest of my life. I couldn't be a standard to the next generation of educated women if I planned on peaking at any point. I had to constantly be on the incline. Currently, I am continuing on my path to earning my PhD in Behavioral Psychology in spite of massive health setbacks, relationships, and moving cross-country a handful of times. I am proud to be earning something to advance my own opportunities, as well as opportunities for girls growing up now. 


     So, that is how I chose teaching. It allows me to ensure that the future, the one I want to live in, is empowered, confident, compassionate, and educated.