Wednesday, February 11, 2015

EdTech Review: Emaze

     I have been using Emaze for about a month now. It is essentially a VERY learner-friendly version of google slides. Emaze let me use slides that were made by others or I could make my own presentation. Applying videos was a little tricky because some would not work, or work and play even after the slide, so I played around with the features for awhile.

     My very first slide took me about 35 minutes start to publication. I took the vocabulary notes I already had printed, then made each one a separate slide. The playback took about an hour because I would pause the slides and ask separate questions that encouraged communication from my students. "What color is the shirt?"; "touch the boy"; "say 'pa-rade'". I even introduced intraverbal skills to all levels of my class by asking and helping specific students answer questions like, "the turkey is on the..?" If the student did not know to say plate, I would say it, ask them to tact, or receptively plate.

    I like using emaze, but am currently into interactive videos. I took a webinar provided by the company and learned some cool shortcuts. However, being limited to their specific template themes is kinda....well, "mehhhhhh". That is also the brilliance of Emaze. It takes the humanistic approach out of presentations and chooses the basic applications for you so you can focus on just putting out your content. Extremely helpful if you are running short on time.

Have fun playing around and make sure you click the link above to look at what I have done. Remember I teach SpEd and most of my work is modified for students with Autism more on the severe side of the spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment